Let’s face it: your employees probably will never care quite as much as you do about energy management in your building. Even energy-conscious individuals who consistently look for ways to save energy at home will inevitably have a bit of apathy toward saving energy at the office. There’s just something about seeing the power bill every month that triggers more purposeful activity in that respect.
However, you can do things that go a long way toward fostering a company culture where employees do as much as they can towards saving energy. In our last blog, we looked at the preliminary step of identifying the ways that your employees can make a difference towards your energy management. Here’s our second tip.
2. Make a list of all the things you’ve identified and post it publicly.
- Perhaps you would even wish to calculate and display the potential savings per year that the company can stand to gain by people being proactive about reducing their energy consumption.
- This can include items like the following:
- Turning off computers at night (and even computer monitors, which are often left on even when the computers are turned off).
- Being conscious about how long to leave a machine running
- In rooms or offices that have individual thermostats, being sure to return them to their original settings if someone has changed the temperature for a particular reason
- In break rooms and kitchens, being watchful of leaving the water running, refrigerator doors standing open, etc.
- If you have equipment that runs on fuel or electricity, post policies for how long to leave engines running and systems turned on.
- Invite employees to make suggestions that will save the company money. This can be made fun by turning it into a contest and awarding a prize for the best energy-saving idea from the workforce.
These are just some of our suggestions for making sure that your employees are on board with you in cutting energy costs. Stay tuned for our next blog, where we’ll cover our third tip. Also, did you know that we offer energy-saving services to enterprise-level companies who are looking to cut energy costs? Contact us today to learn more.